Sam is a Canadian-born writer and performer based in Brooklyn.
Raised by pun-loving parents (but who isn't, really) on a steady diet of Scrabble, Monty Python, Shakespeare and SCTV, Sam grew up with a love of words and wit. Now
As a playwright, Sam creates irreverent, pun-addled works for the stage that attempt to breed empathy and deepen our human experience of infinity through nonsense, wordplay, and a dreamlike performance architecture. Her plays have been presented by Fresh Ground Pepper, The PIT, PLAYxPLAY and #serials@theflea.
As an actor, Sam develops and performs original work with some of New York's foremost downtown theater companies (Theater Reconstruction Ensemble, Built for Collapse, Target Margin Theater, Tugboat Collective) at celebrated indie venues around the city. Select credits: Looking Back, It May Not Have Been Ridgefield High School’s Best Production of Our Town (The PIT), Bull’s Hollow (Ars Nova), You On the Moors Now (HERE), Too Many Lenas (The New Ohio).
As a comedian, Sam can be seen doing stand-up comedy and terrible characters in various backyards and bars. She co-hosts QUITTERS, a monthly comedy show at Pete’s Candy Store in Williamsburg, and previously co-hosted Subreddit Live at The Experiment.
As a freelance writer, Sam’s work appears in Brokelyn, Gothamist, Reductress, Bushwick Daily and Bedford & Bowery.
And as a pun champion, Sam writes and performs pun-ologues that have been featured in The New Yorker, InStyle Magazine, BUST and Huffington Post. She's also a multi-time champion of the Punderdome 3000, a monthly pun competition in Brooklyn where she competes as Homestar Punner.
GET AT HER: @ahoysamantha.
- Interview: Mental Floss
- "MVP....easily!" — Ludus NYC
- "Funny, histrionic" — Theater Mania
- Interview: The Flea Theater
- Interview: Theater in the Now
- "Wow. That’s pun art." - Huffington Post
- "A terrific writer... brings quirky and original subject matter to the page with brio and writerly panache...original, fresh and humorous in a contemporary way that's hip without being *too* hip" - Barbara Kay, The National Post
- "Sam is a unique, multi-faceted talent ... a stand-out ability to connect with and engage her audience." - Fred Firestone, Punderdome
- "Hats off.... we're hugely jealous of Ms. Corbin's talents." Daniel Ross, ClassicFM
- "So cool." - Barry Corbin, father